S'mores for Breakfast...French Style

Vacations when I was a kid were packing up the camper and visiting a state park for a week or so.  It wasn't always easy as packing the camper...no, we started with a truck and a tent.  My parents slept in the back of our truck with a mattress while my brother and I slept in this little bitty orange tent my parents got, possibly as a wedding gift.  Our first big camping vacation was through the state of Missouri...we spent a week touring the state, stopping each night to camp.

Our cab and a half truck with a topper, was loaded to the brim with all of the stuff we would need for the week...when I say it was loaded, I mean, stuffed, really stuffed.  Each time we stopped for the night, everything had to come out of the back of the truck and in the morning, it would all have to go back in.  We got so good at packing the truck, by the end of the week we had a whole 2 feet of space that was empty.  Growing up camping, my brother and I grew very fond of s'mores and it's the kind of treat that can take you back to when you had your first s'more sitting around a campfire.  Memories.

I was on my favorite site (Pinterest) the other day when I came across S'mores French Toast...ahhhahha! (angels singing)  I love s'mores and I love stuffed french toast, why didn't I think of this?!

As you can probably already guess...I didn't follow the recipe exactly.  I didn't have any mini marshmallows in the pantry, but I did have regular marshmallows.  So the hazelnut spread is the generic version of Nutella, just as yummy, not as expensive.  If you don't like the flavor of hazelnuts, you could probably just use some chocolate ganache...I'll give you a recipe for that too.

I just cut 3 regular marshmallows in half, but if you have mini marshmallows or marshmallow fluff, those will work too.

Here's where using marshmallow fluff would work the best.  Regular marshmallows are almost too big to really be affected by the little amount of heat that they're getting sandwiched in between the chocolate and bread.  While cooking up my s'more stuffed french toast, I put my 12 inch lid over stop, to help trap some of the heat so the marshmallows would feel the heat.


French toast perfection!


No syrup needed, not that I would use it anyway (just another sauce/topping that I despise).

Okay, so here's the other way that I didn't follow the recipe...the graham crackers.  The recipe calls for the sandwich to be dipped in egg and then in crushed graham crackers before cooking.  The graham crackers would have made the french toast a little more crunchy, but I don't think crunchy and french toast go together.


S'more French Toast
   bread
   mini marshmallows or marshmallow fluff
   chocolate-hazelnut spread or chocolate ganache
   egg
   crushed graham crackers
   
1. Spread chocolate spread on to both slices of bread.
2. Sprinkle mini marshmallows onto chocolate spread.
3. Lay one slice of bread on top of the other, making a sandwich.
4. Whisk egg in dish.
5. Crush some crackers and pour into a dish for dipping.
6. Dip sandwich in egg, turning to coat.  Then dip in graham crackers, turning over to coat.
7. Cook in skillet until lightly browned and marshmallows are melted.

Click here for the printable recipe...thanks to Buns in My Oven for the quick breakfast idea!


I told you I'd give you another little recipe that is sure to change your life...Chocolate Ganache.

Chocolate Ganache
   8 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (or you could use semisweet chocolate chips)
   1 1/2 tsp unsalted butter
   1 c. heavy whipping cream

1. In a saucepan, heat cream slowly for about 4 minutes until boiling (don't stir)
2. Have chocolate and butter ready in a metal or glass bowl.  When cream begins to bubble up the sides of the saucepan, pour it over the chocolate in the bowl.  Don't stir yet...let the chocolate soften.
3. After a couple of minutes, whisk the chocolate until melted completely.  Chocolate should be smooth.
4. It can be used to frost cakes, dip fruit, a dollop over ice cream or spread on bread for s'more french toast!

Click here for the printable version of the recipe...Thanks Cooks.com!

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment