Crockin' Hawaiian BBQ Chicken

I love chicken!  I could probably eat chicken everyday...however, my husband isn't as big a fan of chicken.  Which means I have to find lots of chicken recipes to change things up.  I pinned this easy recipe on Pinterest and have been waiting for the right time to make it AND to find the right bbq sauce.  The recipe calls for a bottled Hawaiian bbq sauce, which I can't find at any of my grocery stores.  We even ventured to a town that has a Target to look for the sauce the original pinner used...but guess what, that's the sauce they were all out of = bummer!  I then looked up a recipe how to make some homemade Hawaiian bbq sauce...and the repeating ingredients that the recipes called for were ginger, teriyaki, and soy sauce.

If you ask my family what my favorite store is they'll say Aldi's...and they'd be correct (favorite food store).  Paul and I did our weekly grocery shopping today and while at Aldi's I found bottles of ginger teriyaki bbq sauce...cha-ching!  I swipped up a couple of bottles, which were actually a specialty item on sale.  Guess what's for dinner?!

I love recipes that have very few ingredients...this one has a total of 3!
The original recipe calls for crushed or tidbit pineapple, but all I had was sliced...so I ran a knife through them before dumping them in the cooker.


The recipe said to turn the cooker on low for 6 hours...but since I didn't have 6 hours, I turned it on high for 3  hours and then down to low for the last hour, but you can do whatever works for you...as long as the chicken is no longer pink.


After completing this recipe, there's something I'll do differently next time.  The recipe calls for everything to just be dumped in...since my pineapple wasn't the crushed kind, I don't feel I got as much flavor as I was wanting from the sauce because of how much pineapple juice there was.  I'm probably going to add the pineapple and bbq sauce and then save the pineapple sauce to add gradually as the chicken cooks.

I also wasn't as pleased with the sauce that I got...I think I'll try adding some brown sugar and soy sauce to it to bulk it up a little.  The sauce probably would have been fine had I been able to fine the Hawaiian bbq sauce at Target...I'll just have to keep looking.

Happy cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment