pie oh my

Growing up in the kitchen and with a bakery in my backyard, I might know a thing or two about pie.  If you ask my dad what's his favorite kind of pie, he ALWAYS answers, "there's only 2 kinds of pie...hot and cold."

On a recent trip home, my parents took me to this little diner/cafe not far from where I grew up.  We had lunch and because they are known for their pies, (of course) I had to have a slice.  That particular Saturday, they had a Butterfinger pie in the case and I knew it was the one.  It came on a small mismatched plate and piled high with whipped cream.  From the first bite, I knew I was in love.  It was rich and amazing!  I needed to figure out how to replicate this pie for myself.

This pie had 4 layers that added up to it's amazing-ness.  A chocolate cookie crust.  A creamy peanut butter layer.  A butterscotch pudding layer.  And last, but not least, the whipped cream.  I'd say I'm pretty good in the kitchen, so I set out to find the perfect recipe for the peanut butter layer.  I could figure out just from looking at the pie what the other layers were, but the peanut butter was something special.

(Inspiration pie)


This the perfect pie...it's easy, requires no baking, and is full of flavor.  Here's my interpretation of Butterfinger Pie.  This recipe yields a 9x13 pan of Butterfinger amazing-ness!

Ingredients:
   regular size package of Oreo's
   2 small boxes of butterscotch pudding (+ milk to make)
   1 container of whipped topping
   1 - 8oz block of cream cheese (room temp)
   1 c. peanut butter
   1 c. powdered sugar
   3 small Butterfinger candy bars, crushed

What to do:
1. In a medium sized bowl, make butterscotch pudding and let set up in refrigerator.
2. In a large ziploc bag, crush all Oreo's until crumbles.  Then spread an even layer in a 9x13 pan.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream the block of cream cheese, add powdered sugar and peanut butter and mix until well blended.  Then fold in about 1/3 of the whipped topping.  Dollop on top of the Oreo crumbs and gently spread the peanut butter layer until covering all cookie crumbs.  Cover and let set in refrigerator until pudding is set.
4. Once pudding is set, take it and the 9x13 out of the fridge.  Spread the pudding evenly over the peanut butter layer.  (At this time, your 9x13 is most likely filled to the top.  If serving now, layer on the remaining whipped topping and top with candy bar crumbles.  If serving later, wait to add the whipped topping and candy bar crumbles right before serving.)


I would guess that this would also make 2 - 9in pies (if you're just wanting to buy the Oreo crust already made).  If that's the case, you might want to purchase another whipped topping to make sure you have enough for both pies to be fully covered and looking pretty.

Happy no-baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment