Family Recipes

Growing up in a family surrounded by cooks/bakers, I was also surrounded by some amazing recipes.  Some of these recipes have been passed down on paper and others have only recently been written down, so the family could preserve a piece of history.

I'm not sure if there are any secret family recipes that my family has, but I've decided that I'm going to start stashing some for my family.  I love the idea of having something of just our own...I mean, I'll be making these recipes to share with others, but the idea of having a recipe that is kept secret holds a kind of charm that has been replaced with drive through meals.  Don't get me wrong, I love that I can make a quick stop and get something cheap and quick to eat, especially on a busy day.  I remember when eating out was something special...something we looked forward to at the end of a long week.

I know that it wasn't that long ago that I was a child, but the way I was raised was of a different time.  We didn't go out every other night for dinner, we didn't have that kind of money.  Instead, meals out were for special occasions and when the crops made a good profit.  I grew up in a live-of-the-land kind of family.  We planted gardens, canned on the hottest days and butchered on the coldest.  It never occurred to me that you could buy meat at the grocery store...we just went to the freezer.  And vegetables didn't come out of aluminum cans, but out of a mason jar.  These are the types of traditions I want to pass down to my family.

So...all that said, I finally found a recipe worthy of being a family secret!  Maybe your family already has some or maybe you're still looking for just the right one, but whatever the case may be, don't forget to pass along those secrets.

Happy Baking!



No comments:

Post a Comment